“Are you doing this everyday, this is the new smoking!!”
by Rumbidzai Mukori on May 2018
Spending more time seated, has become the new smoking addiction! Research states that physical inactivity related diseases rank highest for top causes of deaths, than smoking related diseases and close to 40% deaths are related to low physical activity levels. With more time spent seated than anything else on a daily basis. Especially if you work at a desk job with either 8 to 12 hour shifts, it can be very challenging to spend more time standing or moving around. Most of us find it just happens, as we get into the car and sit once again driving home or to another destination. At home, we either spend time watching TV or looking at Laptop and Cellphone screens. More hours are spent sitting and less time standing. Unfortunately this habit or addiction has so many negative effects on our health, that you may have already started experiencing now or at a later stage, here are some things to watch out for:
- Back ache or pain especially lower.
- Stooped neck or not walking straight.
- Painful joints or knee problems.
- Varicose veins or veins that are purple in colour
- Painful body after work
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Impaired memory function
Sitting for most of the day, based on research and not being physically active, without releasing a lot of energy or using muscles leads to slower metabolism and higher chance of getting Obesity related diseases. Obesity is not just about the value on the scale, but starts with the size of your belly. Belly fat has become a norm for many, especially desk job employees and can be prevented or reduced by simply being more physically active and spending more time standing whenever you get the chance.
Walking for just two minutes every hour, may decrease the risk of premature death by up to one- third, based on latest research.
Here are some tips for walking more to get 2 minutes/ hour :
- First thing in the morning, stretch you body and get out of bed.
- Go for water refills at the water tank.
- Walk your visitors to the door..
- Take a 2-5 minute break to stretch or stand up after every 2-3 hours.
- Go and buy your own lunch, if you can.
- Make salad or cook vegetables on your own, instead of getting the maid to make the whole meal.
- Read a book for 10 minutes standing or work on a standing desk.
- Last thing before bed, stretch your body and do something standing up.
The beauty of spending more time standing, is that your physique instantly looks better as you appear more confident, taller and groomed. Besides preventing the 5th leading cause of Death, you also are guaranteed that you will be more productive and enjoy your life more.
If you have been smoking by sitting down, it’s time to start adding more movement and save