The fire started in the canteen near the Metro FM and Five FM studios.
SABC headquarters in Auckland Park. Image: Robbie Tshabalala
Five SABC employees have been taken to the hospital after a fire reportedly broke out at its Radio Park building in Auckland Park, Johannesburg.
Reports says, the fire broke out in one of the kitchens in the building, resulting in a number of people being taken to the hospital. The rest of the SABC staff had to be evacuated.
Vuyo Mthembu of the SABC said an electric fault in the distribution board box in one of the canteens is the source of the fire. Mthembu added that the fire was extinguished in good time and the five people taken to hospital suffered from smoke inhalation.
However, the staff returned to duty shortly after the incident.