Looting continues in Gauteng



The Gauteng province is experiencing its 6th episode of looting, torching and vandalizing of shops thought to be owned by foreigners in the country.

(Photo, South African looters take items from alleged foreign-owned shops during a riot in the Johannesburg suburb of Turffontein on Sept 2, 2019, as angry protesters loot alleged foreign-owned shops in a new wave of violence targeting foreign nationals. PHOTO: AFP)

By Tiyani Solly Mabunda

Protesters claim to be burning and looting these shops in response to last week's killing of a taxi driver by foreigners in the Pretoria CBD. This time around the community says their action is aimed at protecting the police who are being beaten by foreign nationals.

Community leader, Sivuyile Nama, says:" These should not be seen as a xenophobic attack against foreign nationals but criminals have taken advantage of the situation. "

INSIDE EBNewsDaily
So far it has been reported that 31 people have been arrested in Johannesburg alone and 16 others in Tembisa over the same allegations. Bheki Cele, minister of police, visited the CBD today. Cele spoke to the angry community. He said he should rather concentrate on the criminality of the situation rather than the xenophobic nature of the protest.

Human settlements and Cogta Mec in Gauteng, Lebogang Maile also condemned the lootings. Maile says: There is no justification of looting, torching and vandalizing of shops and cars for whatever reason. He continued saying that criminality cannot be allowed because of the socio-economic situation that poor South Africans are going through.

ANC Secretary-General Cde Ace Magashule also condemned the attacks that took place today in the CBD & deems them unacceptable.

These lootings have since spread far and wide in Gauteng reaching to Forsburg, Pretoria, and Tembisa.


Web Design Johannesburg SAGLOTECHWeb Design Germiston
Powered by Blogger.