1280 confirmed coronavirus cases in SA, 29 March 2020

Zweli Mkhize
Minister of Health in South Africa in South Africa – Dr Zweli Mkhize

There is an increase of 93 from the previously reported cases

The department of health has announced that the latest confirmed coronavirus covid-19 cases in the country is 1280. The ministry announced on Sunday evening.

The second death was also reported.

“The 74 year old male had been in ICU and on ventilation in a private hospital in Ladysmith. He travelled to Kruger National Park with his family & came back with flu like symptoms. He was confirmed to be COVID-19 positive on the 27 March,” the department said.

Health minister Dr Zweli Mkhize says the deceased’s family, 14 health workers, including 3 specialist doctors, who were in contact with him are now in quarantine and being monitored.

“We express our condolences to the family and we thank the doctors and health workers who looked after the deceased patient until his time of passing”

Gauteng remain the most hit province with 584 cases, followed by Western Cape with 310 cases.

Here are the full cases per province:

  • Gauteng: 584
  • Cape Town: 310
  • Kwa-Zulu Natal: 167
  • Free State: 72
  • North West: 6
  • Mpumalanga: 11
  • Limpopo: 12
  • Eastern Cape: 12
  • Northern Cape: 6
  • Unallocated: 100

First case was also announced at the Khayelitsha township in the Western Cape.