The Department of Justice and Constitutional Development of South Africa has called on all interested members of the public to comment on three Bills dealing with gender based violence, the register for sex offenders and bail and sentences.
The Criminal Matters Amendment Bill, 2020 seeks to amend :
- The Criminal Procedure Act, 1977, so as to further regulate the granting of the bail and placement of persons on parole, in respect of offences that have been committed against vulnerable persons.
- The Criminal Law Amendment Act, 1977, so as to further regulate sentences in respect of offences that have been committed against vulnerable persons and to provide for the matters connected therewith.
The Domestic Violence Amendment Bill, 2020 seeks to amend the Domestic Violence Act, 1988 so as to:
- Further regulate certain definitions.
- Further facilitate the obtaining of protection orders against acts of domestic violence.
- To introduce obligations on relevant functionaries in the Department of Social Development and Department of Health to provide certain services to victims of domestic violence.
- To align the provisions of the Domestic Violence Act 1988 with the provisions of the protection from Harassment Act 2011 and to provide for matters connected therewith.
The Criminal Law (Sexual Offences and Related Matters) Amendment Act, Amendment Bill 2020, seeks to amend the Criminal Law Amendment Act 2007, so as to :
- Further regulate the inclusion of particulars of persons in the National Register for Sex Offenders.
- To extend the list of persons who are to be protected in terms of Chapter 6 of the Act.
- To further regulate the removal of particulars of persons from the National Register for Sex Offenders and to provide matters connected therewith.
Comments on all three Bills may be submitted to HDuPreez@justice.gov.za or Vletswalo@justice.gov.za.
The closing date for submissions is 31 March 2020.
Send us news closer to you.
Help us cover news next to your area.
Get in touch with our editorial team and help us cover the stories that matter to you. From the breaking news, corruptions around you. Be a whistleblower and help build a safe and corrupt-free South Africa. Email firstname.lastname@example.org. We will help protect your anonymity.
Advertise on EBNewsDaily
Email us at email@example.com