SANDF and SAPS have been accused by the public for exercising excessive force during lockdown
The South African Office of the Military Ombud has on Thursday, 02 April 2020 assured society of their availability to assist the aggrieved who feel the SANDF has not conducted themselves according to book.
The SANDF, as well as the SAPS, have been accused by the public for exercising excessive force while executing their duties during the lockdown.
Vusumuzi Masondo, the SANDF (Retired) Military Ombud Lieutenant General, has said that communities need to be informed about the existence of this office as well as the assistance it can offer should a need arise.
“Our job is to make sure that complaints that come through our office are handled professionally and rights of citizens of the country are protected without compromise,” Masondo said.
Meanwhile, Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula, Minister of Defence and Military Veterans has condemned any form of abuse committed by the SANDF during the 21-day lockdown last week.
“We noted that the department of defence released a statement taking note of various allegations of abuse by deployed members of the SANDF who are supporting government’s efforts to contain the coronavirus pandemic,” said the office in a statement.
The remarks by the Minister follows various allegations made against the members of the SANDF in an effort to curb the Covid-19 pandemic.
Complaints regarding the official conduct of the SANDF members can be lodged and a 90-day period is given for lodging complaints from the day of the incident with the office.