Alan Winde, the Western Cape Premier says the province’s government will use the process of consultation announced by President Cyril Ramaphosa to clarify their position to move down to level 3 as soon as possible.
“The Western Cape Government will use the process of consultation announced by president Ramaphosa to make clear our position that the entire province must move down to level 3 as soon as possible, preferably before the end of May 2020.
Winde argues that it is becoming difficult to maintain the level 4 restrictions anywhere in the Western Cape or in South Africa.
“The economic crisis caused by these restrictions has resulted in a life-threatening humanitarian disaster that will only worsen in the months ahead,” he said.
Western Cape Premier also adds that the province has adopted a data-led, evidence- based approach to COVID-19 response which targets all of the government interventions in hotspots.
“This is the plan that we presented to the Minister of Health, Dr Zweli Mkhize on Saturday, and which had already been adopted by our cabinet,” he said.
Winde says in conjunction with the determined enforcement of this hotspot plan, Alert level 3 should be adopted for the entire Western Cape province.